It is my husband’s birthday tomorrow. The first thing I want you to know about him – as readers of my blog – is that I would not be able to do even half of what I do online without him. His practical and emotional support has been absolutely crucial to my work. So basically what you see here would not be possible without him!
But although I am so thankful for all he does, I am even more thankful for who he is. He is patient, kind, thoughtful, and forgiving… to name a few of his qualities. Sure he is not perfect, but he is willing to grow and work out problems – and this is what makes him and our relationship so wonderful. I feel truly blessed to have him as my partner in life.
Even though I always love to have something special on my birthday (like a meal out or a gift I have wanted for a long time) my husband is so selfless. He never wants anything year after year… but finally this year he said he wanted to go camping. So off we go for our first family camping trip this morning, and I’ll be taking a few days away from the blog. You may be able to catch a few shots on Instagram if we have internet wherever we spend the day.
In reflecting on how I can show my love and appreciation better this year, here is my short list of practical ideas:
- Telling him how much I appreciate his hard work
- Remembering to be kind and patient, no matter how stressed or frustrated I am
- Making a few of his favorite lunches/dinners even if they take an extra few minutes
- Offering to do some of his favorite hobbies, even if I do not necessarily enjoy them as much – such as camping or… skateboarding (can I muster up the courage to try again?!)
This year I also decided to ask the boys what they loved about daddy so we could make a list for his birthday, and here were their exact words (plus some of mine).
10 things we love about “Daddy”:
From my two-year-old
1) I like cudewing (cuddling) daddy… and kissing daddy.
(After that he just kept on saying, “What about my birfday?”)
From my five-year-old
2) I really like his bedtime stories.
3) I really like playing with him.
4) I really like spending time with him.
5) I love how he works so hard to support the family and makes sure we have what we need.
6) I love how he appreciates the the work that I do, and believes my work is just as important as his.
7) I love how he gives everyone a hello and goodbye kiss or hug, no matter how much of a rush he is in.
8) I love how he is always willing to give away what he has, not thinking of himself.
9) I love how he encourages
our boys and really sees the best in them.
10) I love how I can count on him to listen to me, even if he is tired (literally or figuratively – sometimes I can talk about the same subjects for hours on end).
Thank you for all that you do and all that you are – we love and appreciate you soooo much! Happy birthday!
What do you love about the “Daddy” in your life? How do you show your appreciation? I would love some more ideas!